Thursday, May 16, 2013

Starlings, are meant to diiiie

Rule #1 of animal control:

       Don't let literary types release non-native species into the wild just because "it'd be cool"


Around 1900, some Shakespeare enthusists thought it would be neat-o if they released every type of bird mentioned in his works in America. The problem is none of them were native and the wreaked havoc on the native population. By 1940, the Starling could be found all across America.

The starling is a black looking bird from afar. Up close you can see that they have a spotted head, and green and purple irridescent feathers. You'll often find them roosting in holes in trees and houses. My personal favorite spot is in between half opened windows.

It should be noted that these birds are incredibly stupid, cannot fly vertically, and have a propensity to get stuck and die.

I hate them.




Years ago I found myself outside of my house in the rain. I took a sip of water from a downspout and went inside. A few days later I heard a flutter inside, so I removed it and flipped it upside down. The bird flew out, and behind him came five more---dead---birds.

A couple months ago when I bought my house, I noticed some old down spouts in the garage. They have been re-purposed into what I'm calling the "Starling Eliminator". I tied it upside down to the current downspout, with the straight end flat on the ground. The birds fly in and fall. Not being able to fly vertically, they will eventually die in the hole. Its not the right time for them to be roosting, so I'm not expecting much, but meh, I'll try anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment