Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Roofers gone wild!

So after the Niagra let loose on my crawlspace I knew I had to fix the problem rather than just treat the symptoms. That meant climbing on the roof. I stalled for as long as I could, then reluctantly went up after I noticed two rather large water stains in the kitchen...also right next to the addition.

So I went up and found that there was no flashing on the kitchen side, and improperly installed flashing on the laundry side. Suffice it to say, I was aggravated--flashing is roofing 101 stuff!

I also found exposed wood, and just general bad workmanship. The joint between the '33 and '98 looked like it had been caulked every 2-3 years since it was built. Most people should realize that something was wrong, but no, they patched the problem for 15 years.

I patched it again.

But my patch is a little better. Instead of simply caulking everything, I flashed and caulked. The flashing job isn't near complete, but it ends at places which are somewhat logical. It also doesn't go underneath the siding, instead going under the drip edge of the kitchen roof. My intent is for the patch to last about 5 year. The addition's roof is about 15 years into a 20 year lifespan, the kitchen roof is tin, and from the 30's. Since both are showing signs of wear, in a few years we'll replace both of them at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment